Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Art of Receiving

I have been contemplating the art of receiving of late...yet maybe not, I was actually contemplating the act of giving - and just yesterday, one of the many souls I am blessed to witness mentioned to me how she was practicing receiving and how very wonderful it is. So, I got thinking...........

Are you good at receiving? So many take the conscious road of giving - of learning to tithe, giving of our time and talents and treasures.........some do it by buying a lot of things and gifting to others...some, like me, love the practice of receiving a complement and then offering the item as a gift - right then and there.

This happened two weeks ago - I was in what I call my blissful state of being - a smiley grin across my face, feeling "light as a feather!"....and was walking out of the florist holding a bouquet of white star gazer lilies and white hydrangeas. The woman had just locked her car, as she approached me saying...'those are the most beautiful flowers I have ever seen!' she was mesmerized - I stopped. I offered. She bent her head down toward her chest with a loud, 'oh, no, I caaaaaannnnnttttttttttttttttt!'........................and I offered again, explaining it would make me very happy to give her these - to bring her joy..............and again, the head bent down towards her chest, to hide her face and explain to me, 'oh, no, I caaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnntttttttt.'.......and one more time I explained how I had bought these for myself and I can do whatever I want with them and..................well, you get it.

She slowly backed away not knowing how to respond from random generosity, or random love...........and I shared there were more inside, perhaps she can buy her self some. That she could handle.

I have a beautiful client, an adorable 80 year old woman who is now doing her work, so many blessings! She and I had the recent conversation about this one person in her life who is not giving her what she wants and how in our humanness we blame that person for not being 'good', for not being 'polite', for not doing the 'right' thing. And of course God led us to the perfect picture, how this wonderful being, for 80 years, has always given/done for others, but never let others do for her. Never. Even now getting her to accept a moment of love is like seeing Jesus walk on water. It's more than rare. And the best part is she got it. The Universe is about giving and receiving and you are either ARE or you are NOT.  And of course the perfect Spirit humor is that by receiving we are giving - being an opening for God, for others to experience the joy of giving. (One of Gods win-wins.)

Do you receive love freely? Do you allow others to do for you? Do you always have to be the one making the tea? Do you insist on others not doing..................are the one who always will be there for others but never let anyone be there for you?

How many times a day do you say no to love? How often do you say no thank you, I'm busy. Or not now, I have to work.  How often do you look for ways to be important, but how often do you let others feel important?

Yes, I would love that!
Yes, you can drive me.
Yes, we would love to come for dinner.
Yes, I would be thrilled to live for free in your time share for three weeks.
Yes, I would LOVE those flowers.
Yes, you may gift me some bodywork.
Yes, I would LOVE that!
Yes, okay, go ahead, you can pay me more than I asked for......if you must!
Yes, you can come help me while I am sick.
Yes, you can walk my dog for me.
Yes, you can rub my feet.
Yes, yes, yes!

Do we feel forced to give anonymously because we are so not good at receiving?????

The act of giving to others is Spirit in action. We have many opportunities as a society to  give to those less fortunate or in devastation; but how often do you allow others to give to you on a daily basis? To tithe to you personally, of their love, money, time, belongings; simply because they want to - simply because God has urged them from the inside out to love all over you!? 

How often during your day can you recognize that God is giving to you through another  human being?

Smile at people. Say hello. Greet others with a good day, have a blessed day, enjoy your day. Look them in the eye, stop, be present. Such a gift.

Receive freely and with great abandon all the good Spirit has for you. If you want great abundance in your life, if you want love, if you desire friendship, if you wish for community - giving and receiving are a complete circle.

I say bring it on. Bring on the love.

No comments:

Post a Comment