Tuesday, December 24, 2013

The Light of Magic

If I could only have one dream, one prayer, one desire - it would be and is - may no one ever miss the magic.

This season of light constantly reminds us of magic. The awe in faces of all  ages when in darkness and light appears is a daily breath of joy. Watching a community tree lighting, or a Jew lighting their menorah for Hanukah each evening, or children seeing the Christmas tree go on or even myself, at 59, rising early and lighting the holiday tree in the dark living room and sitting, and being, in the wonder of the Light.

When my mother in law had Alzheimer's my husband and I would drive her each evening (for it was always new to her & therefore, constant authentic joy!)  around the neighborhood to see the holiday lights. It was quite extravagant, in suburban Boston, to see the multi lit cull-de-sacs, the reindeer, Santa Clauses of all sizes, the colors, the whites, the blinking, the trees! It was a feast for the soul. This drive conjured up the feeling of pure magic, in each of us.

I have given much thought to the words light and magic this season. How important the word Light is - we use it in so many different manners - and all good, all positive, all beneficial. Light emerges from the darkness. Lightness makes graceful the burdens. The Light of God. Walk Lightly. Tread Lightly. Light as in weight, Light as  in God, Light as in the Sun, Light as in to see, Star Light, Light, Light, Light.

And Magic!! The Magi, the magic of the Season, Magical. I ask this often; do you believe in Magic? Is a miracle the outcome, the effect of magic?   And does it take Light to create a miracle, is Light the juju for magic?

And what exactly is magic.al? The relief of our burdens? The moment when we can breathe again? Pure joy emanating from our hearts? God tears in our eyes?

Magic for me is the same as a miracle; that which I cannot do myself. That which I alone cannot create. That which I know God did, my angels performed, Divine Intervention was the cause......that which happens as I pray, that which feels like soul food, that which breaks my heart wide open and it feels good! It can be a moment - it can be a evening. It can be with a random stranger or no one else is in the room. BUT, there is a deep knowing, that other than human logic was at work; and those moments, those breaths, those experiences - I want these for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment