Thursday, January 13, 2011

Determination

Last week I clicked the TV to Joyce Meyers Ministry - now you know, if you did not already; I enjoy television Evangelists, ministers, etc. Yes, even Benny Hinn sometimes gets my attention. But, back to Joyce. I really like her. Really. Yes, she interprets the bible more traditionally than I - but we seem to get to the same place.

What do I like about her? I love her passion for what she does. I love that I heard her once tell the story that when she was newly married, she thought something was wrong with her - she did not care about the garden, the laundry, the housework, the dinners, the color of the walls. All she cared about was preaching. She stated how much easier her life may have been had she been able to be like her perfect housewife neighbor; but alas, she was to preach and that is what she does.

The other day Joyce Meyers was speaking about determination. I never thought of it as spiritual attribute before - until I listened to her speak about how determined the (devil) is to get us. As I/we may say; our ego (egding God out) is out to get us! Our ego will do whatever it takes to make us believe it is in charge. We HAVE to be determined to know the good in this life. We have to be DETERMINED in our faith and belief and knowing that good prevails; even in the darkest of times.

I have been giving the word determined some time this week. Am I determined enough? Have I been
determined enough in my ministry, in my life, in my dreams. To answer honestly, no. I am determined enough in the moment of being with a loved one, in the very moments of giving a Sunday talk, in the action of a service of any kind - I am all-ways determined when it has to do with obvious God faithed moments - but what about the other moments?...and are not ALL moments God faithed moments?! What about the inner moments of doubt? Where is the determination then? And what allows a person to feel or rather to embody determination?

We KNOW when we are truly determined. And for me, being determined takes on a spiritual energy when we are determined even though the outcome on the linear plane looks not so great. We have to find ourselves determined for God! We must engage in determination when we want to see attributes of God flourishing in our lives.

The addict can doubt their own courage; but be determined to say NO! and see God come through with the courage. Determination which comes from ones Love for Spirit is opposite of determination which comes from the ego, the I can do this. I KNOW God can do this, I KNOW God can clean me up, can take away my anger, can calm my fears; I KNOW Gods courage can show up here and I am determined to see that courage, to feel that courage, to embody that courage.

In our darkest moments, in order to prevail, we say; God, I am determined here. I am utterly, purely and passionately determined to see You - so I will take this step, this one step and then watch for You. I will go to an AA meeting, I will walk into that clinic, I will tell the truth to my family, I will let go what I thought everything should look like, admit what it feels like and be determined to feel your Grace to pour through me!

Be determined to NOT let lack get you. Be DETERMINED to create space for goodness in your journey through waking the talk - show up - God WILL do the rest.

"Today I will do the best I can - and leave the rest to God."

No comments:

Post a Comment